Monday, August 2, 2010

Chow Fan(炒飯)_ Mixed Style with Asian Pride!


I guess I should really call this article the rebirth of my previous blog on Wretch.cc.

So I do have been making food over the past few weeks. As I did before back in Taiwan, I took pictures of them just for fun. Yet really I am thinking about making this whole process beneficial not only to myself but primarily to you who are reading this at this moment(or not if you just don't like food, art or whatever other reasons and you just happen to be here). One thing to clarify about this blog is that I will be posting articles about my artworks, my "food production", and some of the interesting and probably informative part of my life. So there it is, I am currently blogging!

This is a summer inspiration on the technique of making chow fan. Since I will be home alone most of the time during my summer spare time, I usually cook by myself for breakfast and lunch(breakfast however is rare case because I don't usually wake up until 11am or so). And this time I really try to make left-over something that really doesn't seems like a left-over. What I am saying is I attempt to make good food out of very accessible ingredients in the US, or in California at least since food I make will probably be asian style most of the time. But hey, you don't have to be asian to like asian food, right? So really, food wise, I will make different kind of dishes, sweets, or anything you can think of (well...maybe). And I will
post the ingredient and steps that you need to follow to make one on your own.
Another little reminder, I'm not a professional at making food or anything, but the point is to get feedback and learn with every one that might have similar interests either on arts, sports(like running), food, or just anything.

I made this Lin's Style Chow Fan probably a week ago but I then I have also made a lot of similar type chow fan during these days. It is basically a combination of western ingredient and traditional chinese sauce and cooking techniques, very garlicky but in a good way. It's about 1~2 servings. Peace!


So first of all here is the ingredient list:
-2 sausage of any kind, here I used chicken sausage with apple in it, sliced or chopped into small pieces
-2~3 bowls(small) of over-night white rice (not freshly cooked*)
-a quarter of a red onion, chopped into small squares about a quarter-inch
-1 green onion, chopped into quarter-inch segments
-5~6 garlic, chopped into very, very tiny pieces, tinier than rice!
-rice wine(米酒頭) 2~3 tea spoons
-soy sauce(paste) 4~5 tea spoons, adjustable
-1 teaspoon Sriracha hot sauce
-3 teaspoon hot water
-tiny-bit salt
-cooking oil

*rice must be put overnight in the fridge(or at temperature that it will not spoil) because freshly cooked rice is too watery to give a good texture/taste when making chow fan

Equipments you need:
-a medium frying pan
-chopsticks or a turning shovel to fry
-bowls if you don't want to eat directly out of frying pan like I do, ha ha
-more chopsticks for more people

Then you can now follow the steps:
1. Before turning on the fire, mix rice wine, soy sauce(paste), Sriracha, hot water, and salt together
2. Obtain a frying pan and put some(at least 2~3 teaspoon) cooking oil in the pan. Turn on the stove to medium fire.
3. Heat the pan until you can feel the heat pretty well above the pan without actually touching it.
4. Put chopped garlic and turn to low fire until it turns gold-brown-ish color, remember to stir a little bit
5. Add sliced/ chopped sausage and onion and stir fry until they turn brown(how thick the sausage is determine how long it takes to cook thoroughly)
6. Apply the mixed sauce from step one evenly over the stuff in the pan
7. Stir while putting rice into the pan
8. Make sure the rice is evenly heated and coated with sauced
9. Right before/after turning off the heat, add all chopped green onion into the fried rice and stir evenly.
10. Serve and Enjoy!


If you have any questions, comments please leave it right below =]

No comments:

Post a Comment