Thursday, August 5, 2010

Summer Work_ Air-dry Clay Sculpture, Head







So this is my summer art work, 3D; idea and concept are based on Alberto Giacometti's overall style and his Bronze metal work "Head" that I found at Chicago's Art Institute while I was there this summer.

However, I did not really look at Giacometti's work while I was working on my sculpture, so it is kind of hard to tell that my inspiration is from his work. For the material, I used air-dry clay (paper clay) instead of bronze. I do so one because it's much cheaper and that I do
not want to burn down my aunt and uncle's house by setting up a torch station since I will have a foundry class later anyways.

The paint I used to (attempt to...) give the metal look is Golden Acrylic Paint, made from
plastic basically. I think overall the texture of this sculpture can be improved a lot by using
material other than air-dry clay. This is really because it took a lot of patience to smooth out the surface of the sculpture due to the chunkiness of the clay. Next time it'd better if I use other materials, probably like plaster or clay used for ceramic.
I do not know the actual process(or more common process) of making a head sculpture, so I ended up using a wooden
stick as support for the neck and a styrofoam ball for the head.




Head, Grant Lin (side)





Head, Grant Lin (back)


Head, Alberto Giacometti, Bronze(front)



Head, Alberto Giacometti, Bronze(back)

Alberto Giacometti on Wikipedia: http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Alberto_Giacometti
Two Other Artists: David Casella, Ju Ming 


No comments:

Post a Comment